Excelsior Springs Historic Landmarks
Carnegie Foundation Library
Local Register property located at 339 East Broadway. The Excelsior Springs Library was built in 1916 with a $10,000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation, through the efforts of the Civic Improvement Association to establish a library and reading room in Excelsior Springs. It is a square brick Classic Revival building which currently houses the Good Samaritan Center, a nonprofit offering emergency service to the poor.
Clay County State Bank
Local Register property located at 101 East Broadway. The Clay County State Bank building was designed in 1905 by Louis Curtiss, a noted Kansas City architect. It was completed in 1906 at a cost of $25,000 and operated as a bank building until 1968, when the Clay County State Bank built a new structure. When the bank closed in 1968, the building was sold to the City of Excelsior Springs for $1 by the Kemper family of Kansas City, MO, to be used as a museum, which it remains today.
National Register property located on Regent and Elms Boulevard. Operating as a landmark 19th century resort hotel, it is the third Elms Hotel, built in 1912. It was built by the Elms Realty Company and designed in the Tudor revival style by the prominent Kansas City architects, Jackson and McIlvain. For more information on the history of the Elms Hotel, click here.
Hall of Waters
National Register property located at 210 East Broadway. It houses the world's longest water bar, mineral water spa, mineral water bottling department, and city government offices. For more information on the history of the Hall of Waters, click here.
Hiawatha Boarding House
Local Register property located at 101 Linden, corner of Linden and East Excelsior Street. The Excelsior Soda Spring was located on the northeast corner of the property, 401 East Excelsior, where a well had been dug and water was made available from a hand pump on a concrete slab. Privately owned.
O'Dell Family Cabin
Clay County Register property located at the Excelsior Springs Golf Course, Golf Hill Drive. The original owners of the log cabin, located inside the present Excelsior Springs Golf Course Clubhouse, were Edwin and Letice O'Dell. The O'Dell cabin is considered to be the oldest existing building in Ray County, Missouri and was located on Old State Road, the first route across Missouri, the stopping place for western travelers. For more information on the history of the O'Dell Family Cabin and the golf course, click here.
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
Local Register property corner of Regent and Kansas City Ave. The church is a virtually intact example of a Gothic Revival "country" church, a style appropriate for the pastoral atmosphere of this resort city. The site of the church was once the property of the General Realty and Mineral Water Company, formed in 1911. Major W.A.J.Bell later became its president, as well as a benefactor of the church. He donated the land for the church in 1932. That same year, noted Kansas City architect George M. Siemens designed the small Gothic Revival church. Major Bell was an Episcopalian, serving as vestryman in his parish church at Blechingley, Surrey, England. When local church members desired a physical link between Bell's parish church and theirs, Major Bell arranged for a finely carved stone from the 15th century, which had been removed during remodeling, to be shipped from his parish church in England. It was incorporated into the interior wall on the west side of the nave. Dedication for the church was held late in 1933.
Samuel J. Rowell House
Local Register property located at 517 Elms Boulevard. Rowell served as mayor during 1909-1910 and his home, constructed in 1907, was the first private residence built on Elms Boulevard. Privately owned.
Local Register property located corner of South and Marietta Streets. The Oaks/Snapp Hotel in Excelsior Springs, Missouri is the second Snapp Hotel, built after a fire destroyed the first Snapp Hotel on January 7, 1912. It was designed by the prominent Kansas City architect Frank J. Jackson, of the firm Jackson and McIlvain (who also designed two of the Elms Hotel buildings). On May 15, 1913, a formal opening of the Snapp Hotel was held for the people of Excelsior Springs. The New York Giants professional football team stayed at this hotel while practicing here in the fall of 1953. The hotel was at that time operated by Eppley Hotel, Inc., one of two Excelsior Springs hotels operated by the company.
Superior Well and Pagoda
Local Register structure located in Fishing River Linear Park. In 1901, developments were occuring in the east portion of the river valley, which would later become a part of the Fishing River Parkway system and today is known as East Valley Park and Isley Woods. A pagoda was built by the J.C. Isley family for the Superior Spring. At this time the land was a beautiful park by the name of Reed Park. The original structure was completely made of wooden planks. In 1912, the wooden framed pagoda was replaced by a stone pagoda. In the early 1950s, the Superior pagoda was altered. It was situated on top of a two story stone and concrete well enclosure, reached by walking across a reinforced concrete walkway. The natural stone texture and concrete well enclosure is circular and has a cone-shaped wood shingle roof supported by four octagon shaped piers. The pump is located in the center of the floor and the entrance is flanked by two oden gates. On May 10, 1982, the Superior Well and Pagoda were placed on the local landmarks register, it being the last remaining spring pagoda in town.
Return to top